bind causes dialout after upgrade

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 19 23:04:25 UTC 2001

named needs to know the root servers every time it starts, so this often
occurs when people have Dial On Demand configured.

I've never worked with Dial On Demand directly, but in theory it should
work if you have two different nameserver configurations -- a
"connected" and a "disconnected" configuration. The
"connected" configuration would be normal (with Internet root hints), but
the "disconnected" configuration would have its own root zone, thus
obviating the need to dial out to get root zone information. Then you'd
just have to figure out a way to switch between the two configurations
whenever you connect/disconnect from the network.

- Kevin