reverse look-up oddity

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri Jul 20 00:21:01 UTC 2001

> > I recently started a new job, and have been given the task of
> > cleaning-up DNS. Currently reverse look-ups are returning this for the
> > server info:
> >
> > Server:  host.IN-ADDR.ARPA
> >
> > And all of the PTR records in the domain.rev file are suffixed with
> > .IN-ADDR.ARPA instead of the domain name.  I cannot find anything in
> > the new O'Reilly book, in the archives for this newsgroup or in the
> > DNS FAQ on the web that address this (sorry for the pun!).
> >
> > The only thing that stands out is that the hostname for the box is not
> > fully qualified, but would that be referenced on a reverse look-up?
>
> Sigh.  Chapter 14, problem 6.  And you need to add the
> domain name after "host."
>
> cricket

	Also you shouldn't be using the zone "IN-ADDR.ARPA".  You
	should be using zones deeper down the "IN-ADDR.ARPA" tree
	even on a private network.

	If you have RFC 1918 addresses then you should be using at
	least 10.IN-ADDR.ARPA, 16.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA or 168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA.

	If you are using delegated address space then you should use
	the appropriate zone for the space you are delegated.

	If you are using address space that falls into neither of these
	categories than you should cease using it.

	The reason for using the deeper zones is that it prevents you
	accidently polluting other caches with bogus NS records for
	IN-ADDR.ARPA.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.