couldn't open pid file '/var/run/named/named.pid' : Permission denied

Ashley Kitto Ashley.Kitto at nominum.com
Fri Jul 20 21:59:02 UTC 2001

In message <sA067.1786$Vc1.603066 at news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>, "Andy Eccles"
 writes:
>This is the error I see when I tail the /var/log/messages after typing named
>at the command shell.
>
>Can anyone assist? I don't think there is a named.pid file in that dir. How
>do I create one?

Make sure that named has write permissions on the /var/run/named directory,
or point the named.conf pid-file option to a directory in which the named
process does have write permissions.
If you're running setuid, the user that bind is setuid to should have write
privileges, otherwise, root should have write privileges.

The named.conf pid-file option, if needed, should go in your options statement
as per this example:

options {
	pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
};