download location for rndc

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Sun Jul 22 20:09:50 UTC 2001

    Sean> I'm a bit of a newbie at BIND and i need a bit of help. I'm
    Sean> running BIND 9 on my dns server. I have heard that it's not
    Sean> a good idea to send signals to the bind daemon with this
    Sean> version. Is this true?

Yes. Most signals sent to a BIND9 server will kill it. I guess you
probably won't want that to happen. You *must* use rndc to manage the
name server with BIND9.

    Sean> I have been using the HUP signal to
    Sean> restart the daemon and it often kills the daemon
    Sean> instead. But someone suggested that i use rndc to control
    Sean> the daemon. Problem is i can't find the software anyware
    Sean> (neither on my server or on the 'net).

rndc is part of the BIND9 distribution. It should be installed when
you build and install BIND9. The current release of BIND is always
available at www.isc.org for downloading. It's also avialable at
countless FTP mirror sites.