localhost not answering quearies

morgan lynder klaus_knomi at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 15:55:00 UTC 2001

Hello,
I jjust installed Bind 9.1.3. In my resolv.conf file I
have listed:

search  blah.net
nameserver      127.0.0.1

The /etc/nsswitch.conf has:
host files dns

A tail on /var/adm/messages shows bind starting up
fine:

Jul 23 23:54:20 creole named[2990]: starting BIND
9.1.3 -d 4 -c ../named.conf -u named
Jul 23 23:54:20 creole named[2990]: the default for
the 'auth-nxdomain' option isnow 'no'

The problem is that when I run nslookup I recieve this
response:

Can't find server name for address 127.0.0.1: No
response from server

Now If I change the 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf to
the public IP of the machines NIC everything will work
just fine. Can someone give me some direction here.
The forward and reverse zones for the localhost look
like this:

creole# cat db.0.0.127
$TTL 86400
@       IN SOA  myhost.mydomain.net
root.myhost.mydomain.net.        (
                                                961230
 ; Serial
                                                3600
 ; Refresh
                                                300
 ; Retry

3600000 ; Expire
                                                3600
) ; Minimum

                IN NS   myhost.mydomain.net.
1.0.0.127               IN PTR  localhost.

AND:

creole# cat db.localhost
$TTL 86400
@ IN SOA   myhost.mydomain.net    myhost.mydomain.net.
       (
                                                961230
 ; Serial
                                                3600
 ; Refresh
                                                300
 ; Retry

3600000 ; Expire
                                                3600
) ; Minimum

                IN NS   myhost.mydomain.net.
localhost      IN A    127.0.0.1

Also when I do a netstat -a I don't see port 53 listed
under TCP I do however see this under UDP:

UDP
   Local Address         Remote Address     State
myhost.mydomain.net.domain                        Idle

Is this the named socket? If so why is it only
listening on a UDP port?

Thanks in advance.
Klaus