bind - firewalling

Chad M. Stewart Chad at Amotken.com
Tue Jul 24 16:02:04 UTC 2001

At 09:20 AM 07/24/2001, Wilhelm Grundner wrote:

>hello,
>
>this might not be a bind-problem, but i'll
>try my luck anyway since it's affecting my dns.
>
>here's my config:
>
>nameserver:
>
>         linux redhat 6.2
>         kernel-2.2.16-3
>         bind-8.2.3-0.6.x
>
>firewall:
>
>         linux redhat 6.2
>         kernel-2.2.16-5
>         ipchains-1.3.9-5
>
>here's my problem - which does not occur
>regulary - only sometimes:
>
>dns with the locally managed zones works fine.
>
>but as soon as i query another nameserver outside
>our company - 'course i have to go thru a firewall
>for this - the ip-address of my nameserver gets
>translated to the inside-interface of the firewall
>instead of the outside-interface of the firewall

I've got nearly the same setup and things work just fine for me.

Firewall - RHL-Sparc 6.2 using ipchains
Nameserver - RHL-x86 6.2

Based on your comments above about the lack of MASQ happening on your
firewall, sounds like your ipchains settings are not right for your
environment.  Maybe MASQ is not supposed to happen, depends on your IP network.

Suggestions: you might find either http://packetfilter.amotken.com/ or
http://fwup.org/ helpful to configure IPChains correctly.  You could also
try the IPChains mailing list for help.  I host the list right now and a
while ago there were some very good technical people
contributing.  Directions for the mailing list can be found from the first
link above.

Regards,
Chad