webmin & bind 9

Maruko marukob at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 00:39:11 UTC 2001

--- Simon Waters <Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Maruko wrote:
> >
> > Would like to know if anyone of you tried using
> bind 9
> > with webmin software?
>
> I have. It requires a quick edit to the PERL to tell
> it to
> ignore version in 0.84. And as long as you stick
> with
> functionality in both BIND 8 and BIND 9 it seems to
> work.

thanks Simon for the advise, but I am a newbie, need
your advise in editing the perl.

> > I always see this
> > /var/named//"/var/named when i click the edit
> records
> > file in webmin for a newly created master zone.
> > There was no SOA records and i am unable to create
> any
> > type of records either.
>
> You may need to sort out the config file for the
> BIND8
> module, which specifies file locations.
>
> /etc/webmin/bind8/config or does 0.87 have a Bind9
> module?

I have checked the conf and it seems to have all the
default settings,

file_perms=
max_zones=200
start_cmd=/etc/rc.d/init.d/named start
master_dir=
master_ttl=1
allow_comments=1
records_order=0
chroot=
allow_long=0
support_aaaa=0
named_path=/usr/sbin/named
file_owner=
slave_dir=
allow_wild=0
rev_def=0
soa_style=0
pid_file=
show_list=1
named_user=
named_group=
named_conf=/etc/named.conf
zones_file=

Please kindly advise...your help is deeply
apperciated...thank you.

> > I tried changing the file path for that particular
> > zone in /etc/named.conf and goin back in to the
> > webmin, everything works. I guess this is not
> really
> > the correct way to do it?
>
> Webmin has a convention on how to name zones, and
> configurable directories on where to store them.
> Whilst it
> will read your existing zone files okay, new ones
> will
> follow it's convention.
>
> My problem with Webmin was that it isn't terribly
> reliable
> (Sometimes it doesn't let you navigate around the
> BIND
> module), and the templating facilities are
> restrictive (I
> vaguely recall you could edit the config files and
> improve
> the templating beyond what the GUI can do).
>
> Also it doesn't bring much ease of use, as you need
> to know
> the proper layout of the zone files, the right order
> to do
> things, although it is suppose to insert PTR records
> for A
> records.
>
> Perhaps I'm looking at it the wrong way, a tool that
> can be
> made to do what you need, rather than one that does.
> I was
> once tempted to volunteer to document the BIND stuff
> as it
> is really needs an overview document.
>
> --
> Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
> www.eighth-layer.com
> Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768
> Moderated discussion of teleworking at

Maruko B.