How to set up IXFR?

Cricket Liu cricket at nxdomain.com
Wed Jul 25 20:59:36 UTC 2001

> I am looking for some information about setting up incremental zone
> transfer (IXFR). I read through the DNS & BIND book (3rd edition) but
> I can not find much information about setting up for IXFR.

I'll bet you can't find any.  The third edition predates the
implementation of IXFR.  The fourth edition covers IXFR.

> I have a large group of dynamic DNS on the master, I would like to be
> able to do only incremental transfer to avoid transfer the whole
> database everytime.

There's some coverage of IXFR in a presentation I wrote
at http://www.acmebw.com/resources/papers/bind82.pdf,
but it only applies to BIND 8.  For BIND 9 and IXFR,
see the fourth edition or the ARM.

cricket