Proper way to set up reverse vhosts (multiple PTR records)

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jul 25 22:41:52 UTC 2001

With BIND 9's "view"s, you could arrange for the PTR record to resolve
differently to different clients.

But I don't think this is going to buy you anything useful. Vhosting is based
on the Host: header of HTTP requests, but I'm aware of no web browser that does
a PTR lookup to determine what to put in the Host: header; usually the browser
*starts* with a name, and its only interaction with DNS is to resolve that name
into one or more addresses, i.e. a forward lookup rather than a reverse one.

- Kevin