What is the sense of telnet on 53 port?

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Thu Jul 26 20:03:18 UTC 2001

%
% Hello,
%
% I'm installating a DNS server. Can I use telnet on port 53 from any
% machine is considered as a test of DNS? Or it has no sense since DNS
% is UDP protocole while
% telnet is a TCP protocole? Then if I connected to to the server, what
% this means?
% More preciously my troubles are:
% - Is "telnet IP_AD 53" where IP_AD is the IP addresse of my DNS
% machine means that my DNS Works?
% - Is "telnet FQDN 53" where FQDN my be any domaine on the net prove
% that my DNS works fine?

	Telnet to port 53, looking for DNS make no sense.
	DNS does not communicate with ASCII strings. DNS
	uses both TCP and UDP.

% PS: I know that nslookup exist and my be more appropriated, but I want
% to know about the above questions.

	Avoid NSLOOKUP if you can.  Find and use a copy of DIG.

%
% Thank you
%

--