CNAME question

viet anh vietanh1977 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 27 01:06:19 UTC 2001

I have some question about CNAME record in DNS system,
and want to have your explaination of it.
Image that, I have a domain vietanh.com and I build a
name server (dns.domain.com) to administrate this
domain, so I have to declare in named.conf file new
zone "vietanh.com", and creat file name
vietanh.com.dns that contain:
vietanh.com IN SOA dns.domain.com mail.dns.domain.com
(
                      20010725;
                      86400;
                      86400;
                      3600;
                      3600000;)
vietanh.com    IN NS dns.domain.com.
My question here is that: is there any problem if I
add only CNAME record after NS record.
File vietanh.com.dns will like that:
vietanh.com IN SOA dns.domain.com mail.dns.domain.com
(
                      20010725;
                      86400;
                      86400;
                      3600;
                      3600000;)
vietanh.com    IN NS dns.domain.com.
vietanh.com    IN  CNAME www.isp.com.

Because as my knowlege, the CNAME record can't exist
with any record.

My second question:
one computer will have only IP address and one name.
if I want this copumter have another name I have to
declare CNAME record in DNS that point to the first
name of this computer. But I have a problem with mail
exchanger ( my domain have CNAME and MX record). I
want to replace CNAME record by A record, so one ip
address will have two A record, for example:
 mail.vietanh.com IN A 10.0.0.1
 mail.isp.com     IN A 10.0.0.1
 I wonder if my dns system work
correctly.
As DNS administrator, if I declare like that, what
problem I have to take care?
( at this time, declare like that, it will work fine)
I am looking forward to have your answer.