BIND 8.2.4 for Win2000

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Jul 30 16:58:30 UTC 2001

DONNAT Arnaud wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use named 8.2.4-REL-NT2 (PRIMARY) on windows 2000 server with active
> directory.
> There are 32 zones (6 dynamiques zones with _udp.zone, _msdcs.zone,
> _tcp.zone, _sites.zone)
> Microsoft DNS is not installed.
>
> First question:
> After 3 hours, this message come:
> "fopen() of myzonefile.dumptmp failed: Errcode: 24: Too many open files"
>
> Extrait of my named.conf:
> options {
>         directory "d:/dns/etc";
>         fetch-glue no;
>         forwarders {
>                 IP_server1;
>                 Ip_server2;
>         };
>         allow-recursion {
>                 IP_MyNetwork;
>         };
>         allow-transfer {
>                 IP_MyDNSSecondaryUnix;
>         };
>         listen-on port 53 {
>                 IP1_MyDNSPrimaryWindows2000;
>                 IP2_MyDNSPrimaryWindows2000;
>                 IP3_MyDNSPrimaryWindows2000;
>                 IP4_MyDNSPrimaryWindows2000;
>                 IP5_MyDNSPrimaryWindows2000;
>         };
>         query-source address * port 53;
>         files 100;      // Limit files open
>         topology {
>                 IP_Network1;
>                 IP_Network2;
>         };
>         version "";
> };
>
> and don't know why eventlog say with "files 100":
> "cannot set resource limits on this system"
>
> A key registry to change?
> A new number for files option?
> Other?
>
> Second question:
> Config SOA is:
>
> $TTL 86400 ; (24 h)
> ;
> @       IN      SOA     IPDNSPrimary.zone. Mailadmin.zone. (
>                                 0107250001      ; Version YYMMJJxxxx
>                                 600             ; Refresh (10 min)
>                                 300             ; Retry   ( 5 min)
>                                 864000          ; Expire  (10 jours)
>                                 3600 )          ; TTL     (60 min)
>         IN      NS      IPDNSPrimary.myzone.
>         IN      NS      IPDNSSecondary.myzone.
>
> and there is a long time between LOG files(ex: _msdcs.zone.log) and
> inscription in files zone (_msdcs.zone)?
>
> Problem config BIND or registry key or other?

   You can get rid of the files 100 statement.  I don't think it gets used
anywhere to
limit win32 file opens and it certainly isn't helping you. You can ignore
the
"cannot set resource limits on this system" message as that message comes
out
anyway on win32.  It's not specific to files and all win32 get that message.

    You seem to have set up a lot of options in your named.conf.  Are they
all really necessary or are you just experimenting?  For example, there's
no need to include the port number in the listen-on statement as that is the

default.  Also if IP1-IP5-MyDNSPrimaryWindows2000 are all of the IP
addresses on the system, then you don't need to specify any of them since
it listens by default on all IP addresses set up on the system.

    Danny