Repost (with files this time!): Auto-Update problem

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Tue Jul 31 01:50:54 UTC 2001

> Hi,
>
> (bind v 8)
>
> I am trying to configure my local zone (dark) so I can auto-update db
> entries via a tool called dhcp-dns (which is a collection of perl scripts
> that use nsupdate to add entries from the dhcp lease table to the bind db).
>
> I have configured things in a way that I think is right, but I am new to
> bind so it's all a bit confusing!
>
> The dhcp-dns tool seems to run fine. It creates a list of commands to pass
> to 'nsupdate' to add hosts from the lease table. But when it runs, nothing
> changes in bind.
>
> I have manually added dns entries to the db file and the lookups work fine,
> but when I run nslookup and enter the following command..
>
> > update add doofus.dark 3600 IN A 192.168.0.113
>
> i get no error message, but the IP address hasnt been added.

	Firstly turn on debugging on nsupdate.  Secondly did you
	enter a blank line after the last update command to tell
	the server to send the update?

> I have upped the logging level (which I may have done wrong!) and nothing
> seems to get logged!
>
> Could someone out there suggest what I am doing wrong?
>
> I attatch the relevant files...
>
> /etc/bind/named.conf
> options {directory "/var/cache/bind"; };
>
> logging {
> 	channel file_level
> 		{ file "/var/log/dns.temp.log" versions 3 size 20m;
> 		print-time yes;
> 		print-category yes;
> 		};
> 	category config { file_level; };
> 	category parser { file_level; };
> 	category update { file_level; };
> 	category lame-servers { null; };
> 	category cname { null; };
> 	};
>
> zone "." {
>         type hint;
>         file "/etc/bind/db.root";
> };
>
> zone "localhost" {
>         type master;
>         file "/etc/bind/db.local";
> };
>
> zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "/etc/bind/db.127";
> };
>
> zone "0.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "/etc/bind/db.0";
> };
>
> zone "255.in-addr.arpa" {
>         type master;
>         file "/etc/bind/db.255";
> };
>
> zone "dark"
> 	{
> 	type master;
> 	file "/etc/bind/db.dark";
> 	allow-update
> 		{
> 		192.168.0.5;
> 		localhost;
> 		};
> 	};
>
> zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa"
> 	{
>         type master;
>         file "/etc/bind/db.192.168.0";
>         allow-update
> 	{
> 		192.168.0.5;
> 		localhost;
> 		};
> 	};

	Named.conf looks reasonable.

> /etc/bind/db.dark
> $ORIGIN .
> dark   		604800  IN      A       192.168.0.0
>         	604800  IN      NS     	firewall.dark.
>         	604800  IN      SOA   	firewall.dark. root.firewall.dark. (
>                                         8759 604800 86400 2419200 604800
> 					)
> $ORIGIN dark.

	I don't believe that this is your complete zone file.  If it
	is then you are obviously missing the A record for firewall.dark
	and as such nsupdate has know way to locate the address of the
	server.

	Also I don't believe that really want dark's IP address to be
	192.168.0.0.

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com