Weirdness going on

Stephen Amadei amadei at dandy.net
Tue Jul 31 05:20:10 UTC 2001

Hey guys.  In my previous post I noted I was renumbering our
network, and was looking for a way to log dns requests going to
our old ip addresses.  I got good info and set it up, so what I
currently have is this:

One server, running two chrooted copies of BIND 8.2.3, one answering on
209.128.224.2 and the other using 206.135.129.13 and 206.135.129.15.
Both use the same binaries, slightly different named.confs (*obviously*).

A second server, about 15 miles away, chrooted, running BIND 8.2.3
using 209.128.232.2.

I have one local guy who hosts some domains, such as webeans.net.  He is
concerned that our clients can't get to his server.  Tonight, he reports
that 209.128.224.2 can't resolve his webeans.net domain.  I test it and
sure enough, it won't.  My named reports "ns_forw: query (webeans.net) All
possible A RR's lame" in the log.  I run dnswalk on it and dnswalk finds
big errors, mostly that no one is authoritative for the domain.

The guy had noted that the domain worked with BellAtlantic's dns,
199.45.32.37... so I changed my local resolv.conf, and sure enough
nslookup resolved it and running dnswalk showed a sloppy, but good enough
domain.

So I changed my resolv.conf to my _old_ ip address,
206.135.129.13... remember, this is the _same_ binary on the _same_
machine with two minor changes in the named.conf (one change is added
logging and the other change is the listen directive).  And it resolved.
Dnswalk gave me the same results as 199.45.32.37.

I switched back to my 209.128.224.2, and it still wouldn't resolve or
dnswalk.  In desperation, I restarted that copy of named, and it worked
just like 199.45.32.37 and 206.135.129.13.

I have had a _long_ history of domains from this guy that just don't agree
with my dns server, and I just can't figure out why.  I suspect something
in his setup is tainting my server, but I am at a loss.

Then he notes that my backup server, 209.128.232.2 is not resolving
anything but domains it has db files for.  It would seem it was suddenly a
non-recursive name server, but I know it was working days before.  I
checked the named.ca, and it is fine (actually, it's current on both
systems)... again in desperation, I restarted named on this separate
system and it started recursing again.  This system has never done this
before.

Below is a copy of the named.conf for 209.128.224.2, the conf
for 206.135.129.13, and 209.128.232.2 are identical except for
the "listen" directive and some logging.

Most of my zones have been removed, for brievity.

// generated by SPA

acl "bogon" {
  0.0.0.0/8;
  1.0.0.0/8;
  2.0.0.0/8;
  10.0.0.0/8;
  169.254.0.0/16;
  172.16.0.0/12;
  192.0.2.0/24;
  192.168.0.0/16;
  224.0.0.0/3;
  240.0.0.0/4;
  };

options {
        directory "/etc/namedb";
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
        named-xfer "/bin/named-xfer";
        listen-on { 209.128.224.2; };
        version "I Forgot!";

        blackhole {
          bogon;
          };

        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
        // query-source address * port 53;
};