Not every server can resolve same name / cache issue?

Lawrence Mackley larryslists at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 19:46:51 UTC 2001

Recently (past two weeks) we have experienced strange
behavior with NT 4.0 SP5 and Solaris 8 DNS servers.
One example is the internal DNS server used by users
can resolve all names but one, such as www.isc.org. If
I try to resolve that name from another DNS server it
is resolved just fine. When I compare the caches of
the two servers both have the domain but only one has
the A record. This is also occurring with MX records.

Restarting the service so that that cache is cleared
solves the problem temporarily, as does waiting for
the entry to expire.

Is there a way to determine why this is happening and
how to prevent it?

Larry