nslookup from WinNT machine

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Fri Jun 1 15:12:03 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 05:14:53PM -0400, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> 2) Newbies seem to always have problems comprehending the weirdo "reverse the
> octets and append in-addr.arpa" syntax of reverse records, let alone
> classless delegation a la RFC 2317.

This seems to be the most valid problem that has been raised.  The
other problem raised was that people misuse them - but people are very
resourceful, and can misuse ANYTHING.

I think reverse lookups are helpful, albeit not sufficiently reliable
to build a complete security infrastructure on.  ;-)

In a perfect world, we could all trust each other with reason.  In a
slightly less perfect world, we could all trust each other because we
were all using DNSsec.  I don't remember reading anywhere that we had
reached even that level of perfection.  ;-)

Can you suggest a better way of doing IP address to name lookups?

Perhaps the answer to the comprehensibility problems is to take us out
of the "machine language" of DNS and build a "higher-level language" in
which to express the intricacies of DNS.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B