Psuedo-Slave configuration

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 4 20:28:46 UTC 2001

JayGuerette at pobox.com wrote:

> Can someone explain, or point me to documentation that explains, how
> to set up the following configuration:
>
> The guerette.net domain uses register.com as its primary and secondary
> DNS servers. I also run a nameserver on an intranet. I would like to
> be able to have my dhcp server update DNS, putting new hosts in the
> guerette.net domain. So the crux of the question is: how can I run a
> DNS server that acts like a SLAVE, in that it answers local queries
> for the guerette.net domain, but can't do a zone transfer from the
> primary, so only holds the local hosts?

If it holds a *different* data set from the external master, then don't
think of it as a "slave" at all. Just make it a master. What you're
basically describing is "split DNS" where you have different masters
serving the internal versus the external version of the zone.

Note that if you want your external guerette.com entries visible to your
internal clients, you'll have to maintain them in the internal version of
the zone in parallel with what's maintained in the external version of
the zone. Dual maintenance is the big downside of split DNS.