default answer ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 4 21:15:04 UTC 2001

spam-bind at theverge.com wrote:

> I wanted to setup a dns server so that if someone
> queryed for a domain that did not exist
> it would return a default answer. ie
>
> some querys for asdjsdfsf.com  they get an ip even
> though the domain don't exist. like the *.nu domains.

You'd have to mirror every zone you're interested in (e.g. "com", "net"
and "org" for starters) to a private copy and add a wildcard entry into
the private copy of each one of those zones. This just isn't practical.
Bear in mind that some folks delegate their "www" names, e.g.
"www.example.com" as a separate zone, or even delegate several levels
deep. So you're talking about mirroring many thousands of zones, maybe
even the entire Internet namespace, depending on how rigorously you want
to define "non-existent domain". I don't think your server is big
enough.

You might be better off trying to implement this with some sort of proxy
(or in the case of mail, some sort of "fallback relay" or "fallback
MX" rule) instead of DNS.