Automatic Secondary NS

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Tue Jun 5 17:11:13 UTC 2001

At 12:48 PM -0400 6/5/01, Todd Snyder wrote:

>  in that case, are there any tools that will make the changes?

	There are some tools you can use to help you administer the DNS,
yes.  However, in my experience, they're fine for operators (so far
as they go), but absolutely nothing takes the place of having domain
administrators that actually know what they're doing.

>  Once I finish my current project, I'm going to start writing something (been
>  on my todo list for a while) .. but if theres something out there, or if
>  someone has a script they've already written...

	Before you go writing something, first check out what has already
been written.  See <http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/tools.html> for a start.

>  It's a fairly obvious kind of thing - working at an ISP, whenever add a
>  domain, we have to update the secondary.  It would be much nicer if there
>  was one tool that would update both for provisioning.

	At my former employer, much to my chagrin, they had developed
their own tools for use internally, and they were very tightly
integrated into BIND 4.  This made it very, very hard to migrate to
BIND 8.

	One of they projects that had been proposed was to completely
re-do the tools, using a proper database as a back-end.  All operator
interaction would be with the database.  When that was complete, we'd
only need to issue a command to extract the current data from the
database and create the updated versions of the zone files, the
/etc/named.conf entries, etc....  Unfortunately, nothing ever came of
this.  ;-(

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */