Automatic Secondary NS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 5 20:27:32 UTC 2001

I'm not sure why one would use TXT records for this. Use PTR records. They're not
restricted to reverse lookups, and, unlike TXT records, can benefit from
RDATA label compression. (I'm assuming that the only thing in the TXT records
would be the names of domains to slave; if there's other data in there, then
obviously TXT records would be a better solution).

Another approach would be to scrounge the would-be slave's logs for new
NOTIFY messages.

For very limited internal-root namespaces, it is possible for a script on each
slave to walk the namespace tree (with appropriate "branch pruning" logic, if
necessary) to determine what zones should be slaved or not. I have a
privately-developed script which does this on all of my internal slaves.

- Kevin