newbie: some A records don't work? (short name)

Jean-Christian Imbeault jean_christian at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 02:08:39 UTC 2001

I'm sure there is a really simple answer to this question. So simple in fact
that I can't find it on the mailing list or in the BIND book.

I have a DNS server server set-up on our LAN. I've set it up to use a
non-existent sub-domain of our registered domain so that users can access
LAN machines by name instead of IP. So far it's worked fine for the test
machine but I have started adding new A records and they aren't working.

Here's my problem. Our registered domain is mycompany.co.jp. I've decided to
use intranet.mycompany.co.jp as the sub-domain for the LAN and to forward
any queries the local LAN DNS server can't answer to our ISP's DNS servers.
The local server is on a machine called intranet, so
intranet.intranet.mycompany.co.jp.

To save some typing I have also added an A record for just
intranet.mycompany.co.jp to point to the same IP as
intranet.intranet.mycompany.co.jp

So far this has worked. I have added another A record for another machine
and it works also as long as I use the form
machinename.intranet.mycompany.co.jp ... If I try to use the shortened
version, i.e. machinename.mycompany.co.jp it doesn't work. This "shortened"
name "trick" only works for the machine the DNS server actually sits on
(maybe it's because the machine has the same name as the sub-domain?)

Can anyone explain to me why I am seeing this "problem" and how I can
correctly configure my DNS server to respond to "shortened" names?

Thanks!

Jc

Here is my conf file and forward file.

[root at intranet named]# cat /etc/named.conf
options {
        directory "/var/named";
         query-source address * port 53;
         forwarders {
             165.76.16.2;
             165.76.8.2;
         };
};
controls {
        inet * allow {any;} keys {"rndc-key";};
};
key "rndc-key" {
        algorithm hmac-md5;
        secret "bGV0bWVp";
};
zone "intranet.mycompany.co.jp" {
        type master;
        file "db.intranet.mycompany.co.jp";
};
zone "100.2.10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.10.2.100";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "db.127.0.0";
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "db.cache";
};

#FORWARD file
[root at intranet named]# cat db.mycompany.hmv.co.jp
;time to live for our zone
$TTL 24h
;
;SOA records
;
intranet.mycompany.co.jp. IN SOA intranet.intranet.mycompany.co.jp.
jc.imbeault.mycompany.co.jp. (
                1       ; Serial
                3h      ; Refresh after 3 hours
                1h      ; Retry after 1 hour
                1w      ; Expire after one week
                1h )    ; Negative caching TTL of 1 day
;
;NS Records
;
intranet.mycompany.co.jp. IN NS intranet.intranet.mycompany.co.jp.
;
;
; Host addresses
;These two work
intranet.intranet.mycompany.co.jp.    IN A    10.2.100.72
intranet.mycompany.co.jp.             IN A    10.2.100.72
;this one works
top40.intranet.mycompany.co.jp.       IN A    10.2.100.71
;this one doesn't work
top40.mycompany.co.jp.                IN A    10.2.100.71