What will break: "Non-authoritative answer"

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jun 7 03:29:18 UTC 2001

Normal application-embedded resolvers shouldn't care about authoritative
versus non-authoritative, since they generally don't even know whether
they're talking to a caching server or not. The only thing that I could
imagine caring would be other nameservers. I believe BIND marks lame
servers and doesn't use them for a while (hoping that they'll get
better). If so, then conceivably if all of the servers for a particular
zone are lame, then BIND nameservers might become temporarily unable to
resolve *any* names in the zone. This would then affect
*all* applications trying to resolve those names. Other nameserver
implementations might treat lame servers similarly, with similar
results.

The most noticeable impact, however, is that if a master goes
non-authoritative, zone transfers break and therefore changes to the
zone won't propagate, thus creating data inconsistencies.

- Kevin