Simple problem is search of a simple solution

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Jun 7 04:45:52 UTC 2001

>  >In the meantime, plenty of folks have cobbled together solutions to this
>  >problem. One common method is to have some sort of "zone list" in DNS,
>  >composed of TXT or PTR records. The would-be slaves check that list
>  >periodically and start/stop slaving zones as necessary.
>
>Uggg.  Sounds like unnecessary complexity.
>
>I think that I would rather just rdist or tftp a named.conf include file
>out to all of the slaves whenever there is a change in the master copy (of
>that named.conf include files) on the master server.  Then I have to work
>out how to kick the slaves, and get them to each do a named.reload right
>after they each get their (updated) copies.
>
>It really is rather a pity that BIND can't do this sort of stuff all on
>its own, instead of me having to kludge this together.  That would be a
>lot nicer.

Here I go again with the commercial plug, but it does address the
question directly.

If you want a nicer solution, and are willing to pay a little for it,
and if your server platforms are supported by our software, you might
want to consider QuickDNS, a system that can be used to manage Bind
servers. The relevant features:

- When you create a zone, all servers (master and slave) are
configured in one step.
- When a change is saved, all servers reload just that one zone within seconds.

For more information, see the website listed in my signature.

Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com>

Men & Mice <http://www.menandmice.com/> offers:
  - DNS training, including Active Directory
  - QuickDNS, a DNS management system for servers on Linux & Mac OS
    (Solaris support coming soon!)
  - DNS Expert, a DNS analysis and troubleshooting utility