tcp limitations

Guy Pazi guy at wanwall.com
Mon Jun 11 07:57:59 UTC 2001

Hi Simon,
Thanks for your answer,

> Guy Pazi wrote:
> >
> > I am interested in blocking udp traffic, including dns udp queries and
> > replies, using a firewall.
>
> Sounds sensible, amazes me that some firewalls ship allowing
> all UDP packets through!
>
> > My question is, what bind versions allow tcp queries not preceded by
> > truncated udp queries (actually, not preceded by udp queries at all).

I'm afraid I didn't explain myself clearly (maybe because I wasn't sure of
the problem).
what I meant was, do bind servers allow regular queries, besides zone
transfer, to be accepted over tcp, without first being queried over udp.
I.e. do name servers REQUIRES an initial udp query to be first truncated
before it will allow a matching tcp query, or do they accept tcp queries
without questioning? And how common is it out there, to have name servers
that don't answer any tcp (non-zone-transfer) queries at all?

What worries me, are the limitations (memory/socket/cpu) of the name server,
for tcp traffic. A name server is probably somehow blocked, (or otherwise
overloaded quite fast) for a certain number of concurrent tcp connections.
When reaching that point, I will not be able to get dns services.
Blocking all udp traffic is critical for our company, so leaving it open in
the firewall is not an option.
Changing the network structure is impossible as well.
What's left is to minimize dns queries (all tcp). But how much is acceptable
in ratio with udp queries?