Is rs.internic.net down? Still valid?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jun 11 23:53:29 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 02:02:09AM +0000, chris wrote:

> If I do dig > named.ca (with dig 9.1.2), will that always give me the same
> answer or will it pick any changes?  I know they don't change much, but
> is that another way to stay current?

Doing this automatically is a sure way to mess up your DNS setup.
Never overwrite your system files without some test of validity!!!
There have been cases when people doing this were temporarily cut off
from the root servers during the update, and the RRs had expired.  They
killed their own root server cache files.

In the case of this kind of file, I would have a manual examination, or
a max number of changes before allowing an automatic update, WITH a
required manual examination of changes.

OSIS Center Computer Support					EMT-B