h2n 2.38

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Tue Jun 12 01:01:46 UTC 2001

> Rick Veenstra wrote:
>
> I just downloaded h2n from ftp://ftp.hpl.hp.com/pub/h2n/h2n.tar.gz and
> copied it to a HP/UX 11.0 box with Perl 5.6.1. It exits with the following
> errors:
>
>   syntax error in file ./h2n at line 15, next 2 tokens "use FileHandle"
>   syntax error in file ./h2n at line 24, next 2 tokens "my $Host "
>   syntax error in file ./h2n at line 26, next 2 tokens "my $doaliases "
>   syntax error in file ./h2n at line 37, next 2 tokens "my $Bwd "
>   syntax error in file ./h2n at line 103, next 2 tokens "my ("
>   Search pattern not terminated in file ./h2n at line 139, next char ^?
>   syntax error in file ./h2n at line 139, next 2 tokens "s/^\s+\|//gm;"
>   syntax error in file ./h2n at line 146, next token "}"
>   syntax error in file ./h2n at line 171, next token "}"
>   syntax error in file ./h2n at line 202, next 2 tokens "hostname("
>   ./h2n has too many errors.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Here are some of the corresponding lines of h2n which Perl 5.6.0 has
no problem interpreting on an HP-UX 11.0 system at our site:

( 15) use FileHandle;         # for calling 'autoflush'
( 24) my $Host = `hostname`;
( 26) my $doaliases = 1;
( 37) my $Bwd = "";
(103) my ($Bootsecaddr, $Bootsecsaveaddr, $Confsecaddr, $Confsecsaveaddr);
(202) $our_host = hostname();

I suspect that your source file has become corrupted.  Try downloading
the h2n.tar.gz again.  You might also try using the HP-UX versions of
tar and gunzip if you had originally used some Windows-based utility
to unpack the downloaded archive (just wild-guessing here).

Version 2.39 is now available at the cited URL.  It fixes an undeclared
variable that showed up when '-w ' and 'use strict' were enabled and
a corner-case defect in parsing DiG's output when analyzing a zone.

Andris Kalnozols
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
andris at hpl.hp.com