DNS Issues

Allie Syadiqin allie at time.net.my
Tue Jun 12 04:24:52 UTC 2001

Hi,
     I am not sure if anyone have used Immunix ISP Appliance, which
contains the RNA (Remote Network Administration) to configure basically all
the server configurations. Anyway, my problems are as follows :-

I am trying to setup 2 DNS servers on a single machine. Configurations of
the DNS is done via the RNA and after completing all the need procedures,
the RNA created the following files :-

named.boot
named.conf
65.5.202
localhost.zone
named.local
vserver.com.my

When I tried to do nslookup -q=any vserver.com.my ns1.vserver.com.my, I got
a reply from the nameserver, but when I tried with ns2.vserver.com.my, I
received the following errors :-

[root at ns1 ]# nslookup -q=any vserver.com.my ns2.vserver.com.my
*** Can't find server name for address 202.5.65.67: No response from server
*** Default servers are not available

I have attached all the files created by the RNA below and hope that
someone can take a look at it and tell me how to resolve this. Thanks.

; named.boot
; a caching only nameserver config
;
directory                              		/var/named
cache           .                      		named.ca
primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa   	named.local

// named.conf
// It is stongly recomended that if you use the RNA to modify your
// DNS server, That you do not edit these files by hand.

// Known fake source addresses shouldn't be replied to.
// For external queries, these should be blocked by
    acl "bogon" {
       0.0.0.0/8;     // Null address
       1.0.0.0/8;     // IANA reserved, popular fakes
       2.0.0.0/8;
       224.0.0.0/3;   // Multicast addresses
    };
// generated by named-bootconf.pl

options {

         blackhole { bogon; };
         allow-query { any; };
         allow-transfer { any; };
         listen-on { 202.5.65.66; };
         directory "/var/named";
         /*
          * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
          * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
          * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
          * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
          * port by default.
          */
         // query-source address * port 53;
};

//
// a caching only nameserver config
//
zone "." IN {
         type hint;
         file "named.ca";
};

zone "localhost" IN {
         type master;
         file "localhost.zone";
         allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
         type master;
         file "named.local";
         allow-update { none; };
};
zone "65.5.202.in-addr.arpa" IN {
         type master;
         file "65.5.202";
};
zone "vserver.com.my" IN {
         type master;
         file "deltasoft.com.my";
         allow-transfer { any; };
         allow-query    { any; };
};

; 65.5.202
; Authoritative data for the reverse DNS lookup for vserver.com.my
;
; This Configuration file was Gernerated By the Wirex RNA
; it is STRONGLY recommended that it not be edited by hand
; and expect the RNA to work again
;
@               IN      SOA     65.5.202.in-addr.arpa.  root.vserver.com.my. (
                                 	2000100006	; serial (change me!)
                                 	21600               ; refresh (6 hours)
                                 	3600                 ; retry (1 hour)
                                 	604800             	; expire (7 days)
                                 	3600 )               ; minimum (1 hour)
                                 	IN      NS      	ns1.vserver.com.my.
                                 	IN      NS      	ns2.vserver.com.my.
66                          	IN      PTR     	ns1.vserver.com.my.
67                              	IN      PTR     	ns2.vserver.com.my.

; localhost.zone
$TTL    86400
$ORIGIN localhost.
@                       1D IN SOA       @ root (
                                         42              ; serial (d. adams)
                                         3H              ; refresh
                                         15M             ; retry
                                         1W              ; expiry
                                         1D )            ; minimum

                         1D IN NS        @
                         1D IN A         127.0.0.1

; named.local
$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA     localhost. root.vserver.com.my.  (
                                       1997022703 ; Serial
                                       28800      ; Refresh
                                       14400      ; Retry
                                       3600000    ; Expire
                                       86400 )    ; Minimum
          IN      NS      localhost.
1       IN      PTR     localhost.

; vserver.com.my
; Authoritative data for vserver.com.my
; This Configuration file was Gernerated By the Wirex RNA
; it is STRONGLY recomended that it not be edited by hand
; and expect the RNA to work again.
;
;
@               IN      SOA     ns1.vserver.com.my.  allie.time.net.my. (
                                 2001000011      ; serial (change me!)
                                 21600           ; refresh (6 hours)
                                 3600            ; retry (1 hour)
                                 604800          ; expire (7 days)
                                 3600 )          ; minimum (1 hour)
                                 IN      NS      ns1.vserver.com.my.
                                 IN      NS      ns2.vserver.com.my.
                                 IN      MX      10 mail.vserver.com.my.
ns1                             IN      A       202.5.65.66
ns2                             IN      A       202.5.65.67

; Host information for vserver.com.my.
vserver.com.my.                 IN      A       202.5.65.68
                                 IN      MX      10 mail.vserver.com.my.
allie                           IN      CNAME   vserver.com.my.
ssh                             IN      CNAME   vserver.com.my.
mail                            IN      CNAME   vserver.com.my.
ftp                             IN      CNAME   vserver.com.my.
webserver                       IN      CNAME   vserver.com.my.
www                             IN      CNAME   vserver.com.my.
webmail                         IN      CNAME   vserver.com.my.
burnz                           IN      CNAME   vserver.com.my.
azri                            IN      CNAME   vserver.com.my.