tcp limitations

Guy Pazi guy at wanwall.com
Tue Jun 12 07:50:09 UTC 2001

Brad,
Thanks for the detailed answer.

Since I don't have many choices but to block all udp traffic, including the
dns ones, then I'll stick to my last question (phrased a bit differently):
If all dns traffic ought to be in tcp. Only limitation allowed is on the
number of concurrent open connections, ( limitations on type/class are not
allowed). Dns servers have the option of explicitly limiting the number of
concurrent tcp queries, while the OS resources for tcp connection are
limited as well.
and to the question: What is the scale of concurrent tcp connections a dns
server can support? ~1000? ~100000?
Of course it depends on the servers capabilities, so lets take the root
servers for measurement. To my knowledge, root servers handle 5-10k
queries/sec and probably capable of many more. Will a root server answer 10k
TCP queries/sec?

Thanks
Guy