Nameserver on my local LAN <---> internet

Eivind Olsen eivind.olsen at ttyl.com
Tue Jun 12 13:11:40 UTC 2001

--On 12. juni 2001 15:00 +0200 Trond Erling Hundal <trond at havneavisen.net>
wrote:
> What I need to know is, if I have got a host name (pc88.teknonett.com),
> can I set up sub-domain-names to this host name using my nameserver?
> www.pc88.teknonett.com
> dns.pc88.teknonett.com etc etc etc...
> Can I do this? Or will I have to buy a domain name to distribute among my
> lan machines?????

If this is for internal use only, you could use some internal domainname
(which are available for free! ;) such as teknonett.internal or something
like that. You will then have to get the local users to use your DNS-server
so they can find teknonett.internal.

If it should be looked up from the outside as well (where you obviously
can't control which DNS-server people are using) you'll need to get a
domain of your own or a sub-domain. These will then have to be delegated to
your DNS-server.

--
Talk To You Later
Eivind Olsen