Tracking all RRsets for a given host

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jun 15 01:35:03 UTC 2001

At 5:06 PM -0700 6/14/01, David Carmean wrote:

>  However...even if I manage to create good sortlist option statements for
>  all 240 of my networks, or just turn off round-robin, DejaGoogle searches
>  seem to indicate that the existence of multiple PTR records will be a
>  nightmare.

	Unfortunately, multiple PTR records just don't work the way most
people expect them to.  Virtually all applications I know of expect
there to only be one canonical name for a host, and they only
allocate one slot in their data structures to hold that information.

	Now, that said, since you're writing your own application, you
could use a linked list (or a doubly-linked list, or a b-tree, or
some other structure that would allow an indefinite number of
entries) for the PTR records, and that would probably be okay.  It's
certainly not illegal from the DNS point of view, it's more an
application problem.

>              And I guess multiple CNAME records are out of the
>  question....

	Multiple CNAME records for what?

	If you want to get all this stuff into a single RRset, so that
you can make sure you get atomic inserts and deletions (although you
don't get locking or two-phase commit), I think you're going to have
problems if you create unique host names for each interface of
multi-homed hosts.  You'll only get stuff tied together into a single
RRset if it has exactly the same label, class, and record type.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */