Stub with W2K DNS Server

Schor Martin schor at genesiscom.ch
Fri Jun 15 07:18:53 UTC 2001

Hi

I want to set up the following DNS Design.

We have two domains company.com and domain.com on a BIND 8.X Server, which
resolves the Internal Namespace. For the Internet it forwards to the DMZs
DNS Server. Now a Windows 2000 Deployment is going on. All the W2K CLients
will be in domain.com. For Dynmaic Update reasons I now want to delegate the
zones _msdcs.domain.com, _tcp.domain.com, etc to new ADS integrated W2K DNS
Servers, but keep the parent domains on the BIND Servers.

The Clients will have the "local" W2K DNS Servers defined in their
resolvers. Since the zones are pretty big I do not want to make the W2K DNS
Servers Secondaries for the Parent Domains.

I see two possibilities:

forward from the W2K Servers to the Bind Servers. This would mean I had
cascaded forwarders, what is not very nice, I know. (But most of the
Internet DNS Resolutions occurs by Proxy Servers anyway)

Use stub zones for the Parent Zones on the Windows 2000 DNS. But: I'm not
sure if W2K DNS supports stub zones?

Does anybody have experience with a setup like this? Does W2K DNS support
stub - I didn't find a hint on technet and in DNS & BIND Ed4.

Regards Martin