Does bind 9 support regular expression in RR ?

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jun 15 11:01:37 UTC 2001

    Kelvin> Hi ; I am a new bind's mailing list subscriber . I would
    Kelvin> like to know is there anybody has configured regular
    Kelvin> expression for host record (IN A ) in DNS ?

Your question is too vague to answer. What do you mean by this? What
are you trying to do? The DNS does not have regular expressions per
se. It is a lookup system. It doesn't have search or metacharacter
lookup capabilities. The DNS does support wildcard RRs, but this is
not the same as regular expressions even though many people confuse
the two.

    Kelvin> Does bind 9 support NAPTR resource record ?

Yes. BIND9 fully supports all known resource records.

BTW the regular expressions in NAPTR records are in the RDATA, not the
names of the NAPTR records. It's up to whatever looks up a NAPTR
record to figure out how to process any regular expressions that might
be in the returned RDATA.