need Setup info for 2 DNS servers

Jeff Donovan jdonovan at beth.k12.pa.us
Fri Jun 15 15:30:37 UTC 2001

Hi Kevin,
thanks for the reply.

>>  here is What I'm looking at doing:
>>
>>  (( iNet ))
>>          |______{global access DNS}
>>  [firewall]
>>          {Internal access DNS/mail}
>>
>>  What I would like to do is have all of my clients query the internal
>>  server for dns and mail. The rest of the world would see the external
>>  box. But Im not sure how to configure these two machines to dance
>  > together.
  you'll have to excuse my ignorance.

the internal network will be a combination NAT and Real ip's.

>Just set up the external box(es) as slave(s) to the internal one.

so My internal DNS box is the primary server (hidden master) and it
holds the authoritative info for my domain. The external box is then
setup as a slave (external master?).
Is the term "slaves" the type of configuration? it is this term /
configuration that I am unfamiliar with.

I can lookup the "howto" in dns & bind. Is "setting up slave servers"
what it's called?
what is different about setting up a slave dns compared to a stand
alone Primary Dns?

>  If for
>some reason your offsite slave can't get zone transfers directly from your
>hidden master, then you could "chain" that slave off your "fake
>master" slave, but that might slow down your change-propagation somewhat.

Thanks for you input.

--jeff
Jeff Donovan                    Network Analyst
Bethlehem Area School District	Network Operations
Bethlehem, PA  18020            (610) 807-5571  jdonovan at beth.k12.pa.us