Stale MX Records

Kris Haight khaight at firespout.com
Fri Jun 15 19:16:04 UTC 2001

Heya-

> > I'd like any help or suggestions you may have.
>
> Ok, i'll bite, ( using my copy of zonecheck )

Thanks your help is appreciated.

> - voon.fs.mindsprung.net has no reverse mapping for
> 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa
>   each and every nameserver better have this zone,

This is there and loaded. I can paste you the section from my conf file if
you wish.

> - ns.mindsprung.net (208.176.94.126)
>   does not answer authorativly for firespout.com

And how can I make it authorative? I followed The O'Reilly Book DNS & BIND
to a T so now I am totally lost.

> - Default TTL in firespout.com'a SOA is 1 hour, way to low

Recommendation? I am relatively new to DNS and I am learning as I go along.
I've had a home server setup for a while, but havent had issues with it, so
this is a first for me.

> In addition is the mailserver at mail.mi8.com :
> The server does not conform to the RFC 1123
> (has no vrfy command)
> same goes for nycexbh01.mi8.com

This doesnt suprise me since its Microsoft Exchange.

> Your REAL problem seems to be that chhost.com still thinks they
> are auth for firespout.com, thus givin out faulty records :
> > dig firespout.com mx @NS2.cihost.com.

I think so too. I've asked them on several occasions to take us out of DNS
and they claim they've taken it out. Maybe they havent. I will give them a
call again.

-- Kris

PS - where can I get the tool you used to get this information?