How to run named under a different user ID...

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jun 15 19:09:05 UTC 2001

At 4:58 PM +0000 6/15/01, Brad Hudson wrote:

>  Not necessarily, see this error for reference:
>
>  [root at www named]# named -u named
>  named: -u not supported on Linux kernels older than 2.3.99-pre3 when using
>  threads
>
>  Is there any way to get around this?  I plan to up my kernel version
>  anyways, but it'd be nice to have it work until I do.  I see there's a
>  --enable-threads option for the configure script, but there's no equiv.
>  --disable-threads.

	You need to rebuild BIND with "--nothreads".  This is the only
way to disable any attempt to use them.

	Oh, and please don't use "NOSPAM" garbage in your return address.
The newsgroup you posted this message to is gatewayed to a mailing
list, and having this garbage in your address is anti-social and
makes it more difficult for people to reply to you with the kind of
information you've requested.

	Moreover, all address scanning tools I know of are intelligent
enough to remove all "NOSPAM" type tags I've ever seen, so it doesn't
do any good anyway.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */