Ques on SOA rec

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Tue Jun 19 14:14:53 UTC 2001

>In Chap 4 of the Cricket book it says, "Our server is authoritative
>for the zone movie.edu because of the SOA record."

it´s nominally authoritative, it SHOULD be our best chance for getting
authoritative info about the zone.  the NS listed in SOA should also be
listed in the zone´s NS records, AND should be listed in the parent´s NS
records aka delegation data.

>What confuses me is, a
>NON-authoritative server wouldn't have the file db.movie.edu anyway, would
>it?

any NS can answer for movie.edu, and answer authoritatively for it, but it
doesn´t have to be a REGISTERED, delegated NS, ie, in the NS records of the
zone parent or zone data.

>   So, are there some ways a name server can't distinguish between data
>it read on startup and data it cached from another server?

named of course distinguishes between what is authoritative records for
zones it is authoritative for and what is cached data obtained from othere
DNS´s.

>   (It is the
>presence of an SOA rec in the data that tells a server it is authoritative
>for a given zone

no, named makes that determination by reading named.conf´s zone statements.

keep reading .... and re-reading .... and asking :))

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways