Tuning BIND 8

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 19 22:11:20 UTC 2001

You could play with the cleaning interval, with the maximum negative caching
TTL, and/or with the lameness TTL, but I don't know that these will squeeze out
much performance, if any (are you trying to optimize for CPU utilization or for
memory? -- you didn't specify). One thing to avoid with BIND 8 is setting
resource limits: if the limit is reached, BIND 8 doesn't gracefully
optimize/purge stuff in order to stay under the limit -- instead it crashes and
burns. In fact, I'm not sure why resource limits are even implemented in
BIND 8. Perhaps so that folks can run BIND on a box which is shared with some
other, far-more-important, mission-critical function which cannot tolerate to
be resource-starved at all (???) That seems like a dumb deployment choice to
begin with.

BIND 9 gives you more knobs to tweak, tuning-wise, and, more importantly it
will give you multi-threading if you have a multiprocessor box. You'll
definitely want to upgrade to Solaris 8 to take advantage of that, though. It
will also (I haven't heard any progress on this lately) gracefully deal with
resource limits, although that's always going to be a tradeoff -- if you set a
memory limit, for example, then when it hits that limit, it'll have to expend
more CPU to deal with it.

There's not much to tune with respect to resolver caches, since most things
referred to as "resolvers" are actually "stub resolvers" which don't cache.
(And don't get me started on Solaris' "nscd". Grrrr. The best way to
"tune" that puppy IMO is to disable it completely)

As for caching "farms", I've never really dealt with such a thing, because our
caching boxes are spread out strategically throughout the enterprise. I
subscribe more to the "cache as locally as possible" philosophy than the "build
a huge centralized farm" philosophy. But opinions differ *greatly* in this
area.

- Kevin