SV: BIND 9.1.2 and TinyDNS???

Markus Stumpf maex-bind-users at Space.Net
Tue Jun 19 22:19:43 UTC 2001

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 11:02:46AM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> problem.  IMO, most of the time, things like core dumps are a result
> of old code, for which bugs have since been found and fixed.

We had problems with all bind versions 4.x and 8.x when they hit the
memory limit. These versions have no mechanism to expire/remove records
from the cache and simply die.
Dunno about bind 9.x though.

There are 2 solutions to this problem:
- put more memory in the machine
- use dnscache. It replaces cached records on a fifo basis if it runs out
  of memory.

I don't want to get involved in any bind vs. djbdns bashing.
We run a mixed setup with dnscache for the caching only servers and bind
with the caching+auth servers and are quite happy for the moment ;-)

	\Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299