Answering only for "own" zones

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Wed Jun 20 11:54:03 UTC 2001

At 3:45 AM +0200 6/20/01, Torsten Mueller wrote:

>  Is it possible to setup bind to only answer for the "own"
>  zones i created ?

	Yup.  Best way to do this is to set up separate
authoritative-only and recursive/caching-only servers.  The
authoritative-only servers are the only ones referenced externally in
your registrations, and the recursive/caching-only servers are not
authoritative for anything, and refuse queries from any external
sources.

>  Is it also possible to setup bind in a way, that for the
>  local net, bind acts like a
>  "standard" dns server (with the right answers) and for the
>  rest of the internet as described
>  above ?

	You could do this with the BIND 9 mechanism of "views", but this
makes the nameserver configuration more complex.  It's a lot easier
to simply set up completely separate nameserver instances, and keep
the jobs split onto totaly independent machines.

>  My intention is to use such a setup with bind 9 latest rc.

	Using 9.1.2-REL or the latest release candidate for 9.1.3 would
be recommended.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */