MAX hsot/alias name length

Sivakumar Thiyagarajan sivakumar_id at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 20 18:10:42 UTC 2001

Hi there,

    Is there any maximum length for a host name or alias name for BIND dns entries? If so, can this max length customised ?

I have obzerved that nsupdate does not allow host names more than 62 chars long ( weird number ).  Am I dealing with an nsupdate limit here or is it a DNS limit?

Heres the nsupdate output (interactive mode )...

% nsupdate

> update add <bighostname> 33 in a <172.35.64.34

res_update: mkquery failed

failed update packet

  I did find a #define MAXHOSTNAMELEN in the /usr/include/netdb.h file but can't see it being used in nsupdate.c or any other source in BIND 8.1.2

 Please help me find the max hostname lengths

thanks

Sivakumar