server config file

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jun 22 23:49:09 UTC 2001

Mario Lipinski wrote:

> hello!
>
> i'm a newbie in bind so please can you tell me how i can create hostnames
> that are forwarded to ip-adresses.

"Forwarded" is probably the wrong word here. DNS can "map" or "resolve" names
to addresses.

> so that i can use server.lan in the webbrowser link in the world wide web.

Well, ".lan" is not a defined domain on the Internet. If you want an Internet
name under, say, "com", "net", "org" or "de", then you should register a
domain under one of those. "com", "net" and "org" are known as "generic
top-level domains" (gTLDs), so basically anyone can register under them. Just
type in "domain registration" in any search engine and you should get a whole
list of companies willing to sell domain registration to you as a service.
For "de" or other "country code" domains, you would have to deal with the
appropriate country-code registry, e.g. DENIC for "de", which sometimes have
stricter rules than the gTLD registrars, and different registration
procedures/costs also.

Once your domain is registered, you can either set up and configure some
nameservers and host it yourself, or, many companies, will offer to host
DNS for you -- some commercial gTLD registrars will include DNS hosting as a
package along with domain registration. If you decide to run your own
nameservers, I would recommend first reading the O'Reilly book _DNS_and_BIND_
to get an understanding of how DNS works and how in particular to set up and
maintain BIND nameservers. Fourth Edition of the book has recently come out,
but I'm not sure what language translations are currently available (if you'd
prefer something other than English, that is).