Bind screw up

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Fri Jun 22 23:59:14 UTC 2001

> Ok I made a typo in one of my db files. I assigned the wrong IP address by
> accident to a sub domain. I corrected it but the change doesn't seem to be
> happening when I look it up on other servers. Generally how long does it
> take to propagate?

	Actually you are trying to workout for how long it will
	continue to be served and cached.  Worst case assuming the
	servers for the zone are up and communicating is below.

		refresh * (zone transfer graph depth) + ttl

	For most zone this works out to be:

		 refresh + ttl.

	NOTIFY reduces refesh in the calculation above.  The is
	the propogate (serverd) part of the problem.  You can't do
	anything about the caching part of the problem unless you
	are performing a planned move in which case you can reduce
	the TTL in advance.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.