Cisco Routers, NAT and DNS...

Ronald Rivera ronald at compass.com.ph
Sat Jun 23 07:35:19 UTC 2001

Hi Michael,

I am also using NAT on my network and all was quite well.

Here's a snip of my router config file:

<start>

interface e0/0
ip nat outside

interface e0/1
ip nat outside

interface e0/3
ip address 1.2.3.4 255.255.255.0 ---> public ip
ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 secondary ---> private
ip nat inside

interface s0/0
ip nat outside

ip nat inside source list 2 interface Ethernet0/3 overload

access-list 2 permit 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255
access-list 2 deny any

<end>

I presume this is the kind of setup that you have. Whenever I do a dns query, the packet comes back from the source since the router knows where it originated and was translated back to its original address.

Of course this scenario was only specific to my setup. Please let me know if you have a different setup.

Hope this helps,

Ronald