try to block traffic from ad.doubleclick.net, but dns record hops.

James A Griffin agriffin at cpcug.org
Sat Jun 23 15:31:53 UTC 2001

zz at rockstone.com wrote:

> I wonder if anyone could provide share your idea, I have this
> issue:  I have a linux box as a gateway/firewall for internal LAN,
> I have noticed http browsing contains too much junk traffic to
> the advertisement servers such as 'ad.doubleclick.net', eg. when you
> browse www.cnn.com, or www.marketwatch.com, etc, you can notice
> such links from the webpage source.
[snip]

There are several ways to use your local name server to 'fake' domains
and send all *.doubleclick.net to 127.0.0.1.  Look for such suggestion
to be given on this thread.

However, I like the junkbuster proxy (www.junkbuster.com) as it deals
with all sorts of 'privacy' issues.  Check it out.  There are vesions
for the Un*x family (source and binaries) and other operating systems as
well.

Regards,
Jim