named error messages in log file, how to fix?

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Sun Jun 24 21:08:31 UTC 2001

At 4:47 PM -0400 6/24/01, zz at rockstone.com wrote:

>  192.168.1.61 is a Win98 machine with only TCP/IP,Client for MS
>  network and file sharing protocal/service installed.
>  And I do NOT have Samba running on this RH7.1 linux, nor
>  have port 137 to 139 open, I don't understand why the linux
>  machine attempts to talk to the Win98 with Netbios protocol
>  as indicated using port 137.
>  Any suggestions what's likely the problem and how to
>  fix it?  thank you.

	All PCs try to talk to everything on ports 137-139.  However, if
the machine at the other end isn't speaking NetBIOS or NetBEUI, then
they most likely won't be able to respond in a manner that PCs will
understand.

	Simply firewall off all access to ports 137-139 on the Linux
server and toss all the crap packets coming from the PC to these
ports.

	With regards to things like this in the future, you really should
ask a Linux-specific mailing list or newsgroup -- your question has
absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the DNS in general, or BIND
in particular.

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root at ihack.net>          */