2.4 kernel and bind 8.2.3 - REL.

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Jun 25 03:13:52 UTC 2001

> Total of 5,000 primary domains, and one server backing all 5,000 domains up..
>
> Total of 3 name servers, that I was hopping to speed-up with the new kernel..
> .
> I am still reading on bind 9.x.x.... whay will they not leave the format
> ALONE!!!?....
> Pain in my ass to have to rebuild all my domains, every time we upgrade our
> bind version.... so much work I don't like doing it very much..

	I'm sure that there are BIND 9 servers running with EXACTLY
	the same zone files that they were running on BIND 4 servers
	10 years ago.  I'm sure that there are many, many more that
	made only one change to get the zone file to work on BIND
	9, i.e. adding a $TTL directive.

	If you have had to do more than adding a $TTL directive,
	then your zone files were in error in the first place.  The
	fact that named read them didn't make them correct.

> If they are going to add features, why must they make such RADICAL
> changes...Ooh, that's right no one can agree on a standard in *nix, and if
> someone try's they get shoot down with "You are taking away our freedom to
> code how we want"....

	Well if you have been forced to make changes to zone files
	(including ensuring that a TTL was defined) you havn't
	followed the standard.  Named's changes have been in terms
	of stricter standards comformance.  If you were strictly
	following the standard in the first place you wouldn't
	see effects of the changes.

> Can't we all just get ALONG??

	Mark
--