Dynamic DNS Updates (SVR Records)

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 25 10:24:08 UTC 2001

Abid Latif Sheikh wrote:

> I am going from 4.9.X to the newest version of DNS on Freebsd. My
> question is that whether this new version of DNS supports integration
> with the Windows 2000 Active Directory Services for the subject purpose.

BIND 9 (and some versions of 8) supports SVR records, and
supports dynamic updates, and thus can supply the DNS data
required by Active Directory, and even update it
dynamically.

Whether you want to allow this data to be updated
dynamically is another issue, as there are security and
resilience issues to be considered.

Integration of DNS with Active Directory in my terminology
means moving dynamic updates and zone transfers using the
Active Directory replication schema, and unsurprisingly BIND
doesn't do that.

Microsoft have a paper on DNS and ADS, which includes how to
use it with BIND.