wildcards in the domain of an A resource record

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 25 23:43:13 UTC 2001

Dykes Greg-FGD008 wrote:

> Does anyone know if the DNS 'Answer' message contains the actual domain name
> to which the RR pertains or just the exact Query Name? For a standard,non
> wildcard sceanrio, these would be the same. However,  I have a wildcard
> entry and was hoping to be able to receive this exact domain name
> (*.domainname.test.lab.) in the DNS answer.

The only way you'd be able to get *.domainname.test.lab in the Answer Section
would be if you queried it explicitly. You can use explicit "*" queries to test
for the existence of a wildcard. Note that since wildcards match subdomains but
not names in subzones, in the case of deeply-nested names you can only know for
sure _which_ potential wildcard matched the name by issuing multiple
"*" queries or by discerning the delegation structure of the relevant namespace
(you might be able to determine that structure, at least in part, by looking at
the Authority Section(s) of the response(s), assuming the nameserver(s) provide
useful information there).