Bind 9.1.1

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jun 26 22:39:00 UTC 2001

Howard D. Brenner wrote:

> Hello I am fairly new (novice) to Linux/UNIX of any flavor.  I am an
> expirenced administrator of the WINTEL variety.  I am trying to broden my
> horizons and expand my career possibilities.  Currently I have settled on
> Mandrake as the flavor of Linux I am usuing.  As you may have guessed
> because of the installation (very nice).  Anyway enough of the biography.  I
> am looking for someone who can help me figure out what is wrong with my DNS.
> I have tried many different itterations of config files and I am lost.  1
> thing is that most of the books I have are for pre 9.x.  I would also like
> to find someone who may have a similar history to act as a mentor so to
> speak via e-mail chat etc. while I transition to this great expanse called
> Linux.

The O'Reilly book, _DNS_and_BIND_, Fourth Edition, covers BIND 9.
_DNS_and_BIND_ is generally considered "the bible" for DNS and
BIND administration, and this doesn't appear likely to change anytime soon. So
I'd recommend obtaining a copy of that, if nothing else.

(No, I'm not affiliated with O'Reilly in any way. In fact, I have to admit
I haven't even bought a copy of Fourth Edition yet, although I've read the
sample online chapter, and leafed through a co-worker's copy.)

BTW, you should upgrade your version of BIND. BIND 9.1.1 is already obsolete.
(Lesson #1 about the Unix/BIND world: frequent upgrades are a way of life. Of
course, coming from the Wintel world, you probably already learned that lesson
a long time ago... :-)