DNS Help

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Wed Jun 27 10:38:49 UTC 2001

It really is little wonder it doesn't work from the outside. "ns1."
won't resolve to anything (I *seriously* doubt it would be in the root
servers), and the 192.168/16 IP range is nonroutable - see RFC 1918.

Also, I would fix the SOA MINFO, and put a period after
mail.domain.com - which, by the way, would make it out of zone data in
the 36productions.com. zone. And for Heaven's sake, get a secondary
nameserver! What has gone wrong with this place, I think this is four
people only having one nameserver in less than two days! Remember what
was said just a little while back. The Internet is a community, and
one of the community rules go - "at least two nameservers". That's not
hard. If you want a dedicated nameserver you can get computers for
pretty much nothing today.

Seems like you have some pretty severe problems to fix in any case.

Michael Kjörling

On Jun 26 2001 23:18 -0400, Eric Ward wrote:

> Please help, our DNS administrator quit today and it has been dumped onto my
> shoulders. I have a limited amount a DNS experience so please excuse my
> ignorance.
> Our Platform Info:
> 	OS: Linux 7.0
> 	Bind 8.2.3
> 	About 4000 zones
>
> Problem (example):
> 	1)We can resolve www4.domain.com, but we can not resolve
> www.domain.com.  The problem is not just with www it seems to randomly
> resolve some records and not others. The problem only happens when accessed
> externally. Everything seems to work fine from the local machine.
>
> 		This problem happens across all of our domain names.
>
> 	Here is example of one of our zone files:
> $TTL 43200
> ;
> ; Database file 36productions.com for 36productions zone.
> ;
> @		IN	SOA	ns1.	root.domain.com. (
> 			6222001	; Serial Number
> 			900		; Refresh
> 			600		; Retry
> 			1209600	; Expire
> 			43200	)	; Minimum TTL
> ;
> ; Zone Records for 36productions.com.
> ;
> 			NS	domain.com.
> 			MX	10	mail.domain.com.
> @			A	192.168.0.3
> www			A	192.168.0.3
> www4			A	192.168.0.5
> mail.domain.com	A	192.168.0.1
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

- --
Michael Kjörling - michael at kjorling.com - PGP: 8A70E33E
"We must be the change we wish to see" (Mahatma Gandhi)

^..^     Support the wolves in Norway -- go to     ^..^
 \/   http://home.no.net/ulvelist/protest_int.htm   \/